Who we are
IINYS is a charitable organization of congregations, clergy and individuals from progressive Protestant, Reform Jewish, Unitarian Universalist and other faith traditions across the state.
Working for the common good through progressive religious advocacy with the State Legislature, Executive Chamber and State agencies.
Join us for our annual Legislative Advocacy Day, spring 2017, in the Legislative Office Building in Albany. Doors open at 9:30, program starts at 10:00 with speakers, lobbying starts at 11:30. Date, room number, and agenda to come.
What Moral Values Does IINYS Support?
- Women’s Equality Agenda
Comprehensive reproductive health care, including age-appropriate sexuality education for teens
- Universal health care
LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) rights
- Transgender Rights (Gender Non-Discrimination Act)
Criminal Justice Reform
- Emphasize restorative justice, education, and prison-to-community transition programs
- Oppose the death penalty
- Oppose excessive use of solitary confinement
- Raise the minimum wage to a livable wage
- Farm worker rights
Responsible Stewardship of the Environment
- Oppose hydrofracking for natural gas
- Encourage clean, renewable energy
- Support the NY Dream Act for undocumented immigrant youth
- Support legalization of medical marijuana
- Support campaign finance reform
How does IINYS advocate?
- IINYS has an annual advocacy day in the spring to meet with legislators, policy analysts and counsel for the Assembly and Senate.
- Our members meet throughout the year with legislators, the Governor and his staff, and other policy makers.
- Present IINYS briefings and Conscience in Public Life forums in communities across the state.
- Social networking for justice and compassion
- E-mail action alerts, Updates and E-advocacy campaigns (also posted on www.interfaithimpactnys.org).
- Testify at legislative hearings and respond to requests for information from the Executive Chamber, legislative committees, congregation-based social justice committees, and many others.
- Participate in press conferences, demonstrations, forums and other events.
- Provide up-to-date position papers on key issues.
- Offer technical assistance with letter writing tables, forums, etc.
- Work with allied organizations such as Empire State Pride Agenda, Family Planning Advocates of NYS, St. Lawrence Unitarian Universalist District Social Justice Council, the NYS Council of Churches, Reform Jewish Voice of NYS, Faith and Hunger Network, good government groups, and many others.
We have all our recent position papers, newsletters, Advocacy Day info and much more on line. Check out our blog, visit us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/pages/Interfaith-Impact-of-NYS/215433148488100), Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/iinysinc), or e-mail email@example.com with questions.
IINYS is supported primarily by member contributions along with grants from the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC), the New York State Convention of Universalists, and the Gilbert Spirit Fund.
Please take this opportunity to join or make a donation today and receive our newsletter, e-mail alerts, updates, and other materials. You can fill out the form below or donate on-line at www.interfaithimpactnys.org. If you are interested in a congregational or justice committee membership or joining our clergy advisory board, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-463-5652.